Going through your teens and then into your early 20's, for some it can be a transition period of discovering who they are, what they like, and for a time... what their style and aesthetic is. So when it comes to your bedroom, it can be important for that to represent who you are more than your outfits can. Your bedroom should be your safe haven, a place where you feel most at home and most yourself. So styling your bedroom to suit all of you, can be quite the challenge..but well worth it in the end!
If you're like me, living out of home and studying...your budget can be a little bit restrictive. Below I will go over some helpful ideas to get you started on transforming your room into your personal little hide away without blowing the bank!
this website has been my secret addiction. Once you buy your first gumtree find, its very hard to stop! I swear the majority of my furniture (and some indoor plants) have been bought from gumtree, and I've been fortunate enough that they have all cohesively match. Gumtree allows you to browse categories and search whats for sale in your local area, and most of the time, people are pretty happy to negotiate the price!
: Ikea is heaven. They have furniture, decor items and now even plants, that can suit any style and majority of the time they can be quite reasonable in prices and quality! The rest of my furniture was bought here, and its fairly easy to put together (a little bit of DIY always makes me feel accomplished for the day).
: this bargain shop has really stepped up its game! Everyone I know loves a cheeky little visit to Kmart. All of their decor items usually hit the trend at the right time and you can easily score yourself a snazzy little bargain.
Also, don't be afraid to go to second hand stores, markets and garage sales on the weekends! You never know what you might find.
Now that we've covered that, lets talk style. Depending on your style, these ideas might not take to you, and thats ok! Whether you are a minimalist in your styling, a colour enthusiast, eclectic, modern or bohemian, the above places should still have things that can cater to you! But if you are ever in need for some tips and inspiration, pinterest is the place to go to! They have so many hacks to hang things easier, DIY projects and styling tips.
- Indoor plants. Not only do they look pretty but they make you feel good! Its been proven that having plants close by can relieve stress, and improve your sleep. Now personally, I kill majority of my plants but so far succulents and little cacti have been great for my room! easy to maintain and they look pretty cute :) I also like to buy a fresh flowers from the markets every couple of weeks to bring some more colour to my room.
- Artwork. You might like your walls bare, you might not! If you do however, photos of your loved memories are a great idea. Whether they are in frames or just blue tacked in an arrangement they always make a room look more personal and lived in. Other ideas could be getting a sketch from a friend or nice print from the markets or etsy!
- Rugs. Sometimes the floor could use a little dressing too! (something other than your clothes) Kmart and Ikea have a great selection of cheap rugs. Whether it be a full sized one or just something little for when you step out of bed. Pinterest also have great ideas for what size of rug to get depending on your layout and room size.
- Bed cover. This is perhaps a bit more personal, as the bed is the real star of the room. You might have yours paired back with a simple cover and pillows or you could do all white with a small pop of colour in a cushion! Whatever your style and budget is, there will be something out there for everyone!
5. Books and candles. Sometimes having a few of these scattered around or strategically placed can look pretty nice and again, make the room look lived in.
6. Lighting. Fairy lights always work a treat, they could hang over your window frame or be wrapped around your bed head. A bedside lamp or a floor lamp can also not only look nice but bring the right amount of glow to your room at night.
7. Storage. If your room lacks storage it can be a simple fix. You can pick up a little dresser from gumtree or ikea to suit your budget which not only stores your clothes but also gives you something else to decorate. If showing your clothes off is your thing, stand alone racks are so cheap and you can style the visible hanging space in so many ways!
Last but definitely not least, HAVE FUN! Your bedroom is your work of art and the first step to creating your own little space. x